With a push of a button you can send your Branch data to your Amplitude dashboard, helping you understand the power of Branch as an acquisition pathway.
How does it work?¶
Once the Branch SDK is integrated into an app, Branch can detect which links are leading to installs, re-opens, and users' actions. Enabling this integration and providing your Amplitude API Key will result in Branch automatically forwarding referred events to Amplitude, in the exact format Amplitude expects.
What events does Branch send?¶
Branch will send referred installs and opens, as well as any custom events and commerce events you track with Branch. Non-referred events, clicks, web session starts, and pageviews will be excluded. Branch also sends all the data that is attached to the link that drove the referred event. This will allow you to analyze which campaigns, channels, etc. are helping you acquire and engage users. You can see the list of fields that we send to Amplitude here.
What does it look like?¶
Branch events will appear alongside your other tracked events in Amplitude. These events will automatically have
[Branch] prepended. Here is an example of a Branch event in the Real Time Activity view:
Additionally, individual events, such as those seen in Live View or visible when looking at individual users, will have Branch link data included. Here's an example:
Branch events are similar to Amplitude events in that they can be used in your existing funnels and tracked on the various pages and dashboards. However, unlike normal events, Branch events contain invaluable information about how users ended up in your app in the first place.
- This guide requires you to have integrated the Branch SDK in your mobile apps.
- You also need to be an Amplitude customer and have the Amplitude SDK installed in your app.
Retrieve your Amplitude API Key¶
Find your Amplitude Project Key and enter it into the Branch Dashboard.
- Log in to your Amplitude account and navigate to Settings by clicking your username in the top right hand corner.
- In settings, select "Projects" from the left hand navigation.
- Copy the Project Key of whichever app you’re going to use with Branch.
Configure the Branch Dashboard¶
- On the Branch Dashboard (dashboard.branch.io), navigate to the Integrations page.
- Locate Amplitude and choose Enable.
- If you have not yet entered billing information, please do so now.
- Enter your Amplitude Project Key in the relevant app under "[iOS/Android] API key" and hit Save. If you use the same key for iOS and Android, it's fine to enter the same key twice.
Ensure that you are capturing both the Google Advertising Identifier (GAID) on Android, and the IDFA on iOS.
IDFA & GAID are required
Amplitude requires the IDFA & Google Advertising ID to be sent. Android ID (the hardware ID) alone is not enough.
Upgrade to the latest SDKs [if necessary]¶
Please ensure you're using the Branch iOS SDK 0.12.2 or greater, and Android SDK v1.12.1 or greater. If you implemented Branch after May 28th 2016, you are likely already on this version or later.
What Branch Sends to Amplitude¶
|Property Name||Value||Sourced from||Example||Req|
|api_key||API Key||Branch Dashboard||70d1db75922b0b4be56b819c42bxxxxx||Y|
|event_type||Branch event||event name||[Branch] install||Y|
||collected by Branch SDK||ios||Y|
|idfa||IDFA||collected by Branch SDK||AEBE52E7-03EE-455A-B3C4-E57283966239||*|
|idfv||IDFV||collected by Branch SDK||AEBE52E7-03EE-455A-B3C4-E57283966239||*|
|android_id||Android ID||collected by Branch SDK||f07a13984f6d116a||N|
|adid||GAID||collected by Branch SDK||AEBE52E7-03EE-455A-B3C4-E57283966239||*|
|device_id||Unique ID for device||$amplitude_device_id||AEBE52E7-03EE-455A-B3C4-E57283966239||N|
|user_id||Unique ID for user||$amplitude_user_id||User A||N|
|ip||User’s IP Address||collected by Branch SDK||18.104.22.168||N|
|event_properties.ANY-KEY (many)||The value associated with the key||event metadata or referring link data||~channel: facebook||N|
- On iOS,
idfvis required. On Android,
Custom identity support¶
You can use the following code to let Branch know what device_id and user_id should be sent to Amplitude. Please make sure you are using SDK version 0.12.2 or later.
Please add the following before initializing the Branch session:
[[Branch getInstance] setRequestMetadataKey:@"$amplitude_device_id" value:@"Device A"]; [[Branch getInstance] setRequestMetadataKey:@"$amplitude_user_id" value:@"User A"];
Branch.getInstance().setRequestMetadata("$amplitude_device_id", "12345"); Branch.getInstance().setRequestMetadata("$amplitude_user_id", "user-12345");
Testing your Amplitude integration¶
The simplest way to test your integration is working end to end is to open your app from a Branch link then verify the data appears in Amplitude. After doing this, you will know how you to test more advanced scenarios.
- Create a Branch Quick Link at https://dashboard.branch.io/quick-links.
- Click that Branch link to open your app.
- In your Branch dashboard, verify you see the open event show as a "referred session" with a "session referring link URL" in your Branch dashboard under "Liveview > Events"
- Go to your Amplitude dashboard and click on "User Activity" and look at the "Real-time activity" section. You should see events with
[Branch]prepended. There can sometimes be a delay in events appearing, so check back 30 minutes after testing.